Build a Daily Sketching Habit
Join Susan Yeates, an experienced author, artist and tutor for this unique online art course, aimed at anyone looking to build up a regular sketching practice.
Susan will show you the simple sketching and drawing techniques she uses herself, she will open up the pages of her own sketchbooks for exploration, talk about your creative mindset and discuss some important concepts essential to a regular art practice.
Learn from an Amazon no.1 bestselling author, TedX speaker, host of the 30-day sketchbook challenge and all-round creative as she delves into some exciting ways to get sketching and stay motivated!
What is this Course About?
In this course I will help you to build up a daily habit of sketching and drawing using just a few simple tools and materials.
A regular sketching habit is at the heart of all my creative activities – and I have a lot of those. I find that picking up a pencil, pen or paintbrush in short regular bursts keeps me in tune with my creativity and keeps me inspired for longer or larger projects that I undertake. After years of practice and experimentation I now carry out regular sketching in small portable sketchbooks. And this regular habit is what I intend to share with you throughout this course.
As we progress through the modules I will show you some of my own sketchbooks, talk you through some great tools and materials to use and discuss how important it is to select themes and topics that suit you.
I will then go on to discuss mindset and approach to achieving daily sketching. This includes the use positive language, understanding exactly WHY you want to sketch this regularly and important concepts such as ‘there is no wrong’ and it’s all about ‘process not perfection’. There are two whole modules on mindset to really help you get sketching!
I will then share and demonstrate a few short drawing exercises that you might find handy and of course help you to set your personal goals for your sketching.
You will need some basic sketching equipment such a pencil, ink pens, some paints, coloured pens, watercolour pencils and a small sketchbook.
This is an amazing course! (I am an absolute beginner who has previously enjoyed your 30 day sketchbook challenge) Although I have marked these sections as complete, by no stretch of the imagination have I ‘completed’ anything! I am simply impatient to see what else you are going to share Susan! I will certainly revisit the previous posts regularly.— Christine Duncan, Feb 2020
What Does the Course Cover?
This course covers the following topics:
- Understand WHY you want a daily sketching practice
- Learn the benefits of drawing regularly
- Take a step-by-step approach to implementing practices that will encourage regular sketching
- Decide WHAT to sketch!
- Break the barriers that prevent a regular sketching practice
- Work on your mindset towards creativity and sketching
- Learn some handy quick exercises for exploring in your sketchbook
- Decide on YOUR personal goals for sketching
- Take a look at my own sketchbooks to understand how I use sketching and drawing as part of my own art practice
Who is This Course For?
The class is aimed at anyone seriously looking to build up a daily sketching or art practice.
- Beginners to drawing
- People coming back to drawing after a break
- People looking to re-kindle their creativity
- Anyone moving in to art or design as a career
- Professional artists looking to build a daily sketching practice
- Anyone who loves opening up a sketchbook and drawing!
We accept students from all across the world, and as long as you have access to the internet, you can study whenever you want and wherever you want. We have no entry requirements and do not ask that you start at a particular time of the year – start when you want to!
Benefits of the Course
There are so many wonderful benefits to joining this online course. These include:
- Build a solid daily sketching habit
- Learn WHY you want to sketch regularly
- Remove 'artists block' or 'drawing anxiety'
- Improve your drawing through regular sketching
- Enjoy drawing again if you have lost your passion
- Fill those blank pages of your sketchbook!
- Find some easy themes and topics to sketch regularly
- Learn to relax and unwind through daily drawing
- Meet other sketchers through our dedicated Facebook Group
Table of Contents
Instant Access to Course Materials and Videos
By enrolling on the course, you gain instant access to the online
learning portal where you will find all of your course materials and
guidance. This includes explanatory videos with me, demonstration videos, written instructions, images and downloadable PDFs.
This online course can be enrolled on at any time of year.
Sample Video - Positive Language
In this extract from Module 5, Susan discusses our mindset around sketching, in particular the use of positive language.
Very helpful and thought provoking.— Sonia Jensen
About Me - Susan Yeates
Hello, I'm Susan. I am an artist, author and art tutor based in Woking, Surrey in the UK.
I have written two books on linocutting including Amazon no. 1 bestsellers, Learning Linocut (2011) and A Beginner’s Guide to Linocut (2019, Search Press).
In 2018 I launched the annual 30 Day Sketchbook Challenge which begins on 01 January each year. I love getting new people interested in art, sketching and creativity. It is from this annual challenge that I have identified the need for a course that explains some of my key concepts and thoughts on regular sketching. A course that makes sketching a habit and part of your daily routine, just as it is part of mine!
As well as creating my own drawings and prints I love educating and sharing my knowledge - I have a number of e-courses tutoring beginners to drawing, sketching and printmaking. These include Sketching for Fun and Mindful Drawing and Doodling for Beginners.
I am also a busy mama, a pottery cafe owner and reading addict.
In December 2019 I delivered a TedX talk at the WWF Living Planet Centre here in Woking entitled “Create Your Mandala Universe - Collaborate for a Beautiful Life.” This talk is all about collaboration and connection for mums in business and also includes some of my mandala drawings. See the video on the TedX YouTube channel here:
Please visit my website to find out more:
Why Study With Me?
- Course created and delivered by Amazon no.1 bestselling author, TedX Speaker and art tutor Susan Yeates
- Start immediately – no entry requirements
- Study at your own pace
- Gain access to view my own sketchbooks and ‘mistakes’
- Easy to follow video course that can be studied anywhere with an internet connection
- No need for any expensive materials to get started - a sketchbook and some pencils will get you going!
- Tried and tested teaching since 2007
- Includes plenty of online videos
- Lifetime access to the course (as long as the course platform is accessible) - return to the content whenever you want!
Other Online Sketching Courses with Me
View all my online short courses here:
Frequently Asked Questions
How long do I have access to the course?
Forever! Once you've enrolled and paid, you'll have access to the course material for as long as you need. So devour it all in one weekend or take things slow. It's your choice!
What if I'm unhappy with my purchase?
Well, I would be sad. But if you're really unhappy with the course, just email me within 14 days to get a full refund.
I still have a question, how can I contact you?
I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have. Send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What materials do I need to study the course?
To study this course you only need a handful of materials, including a sketchbook, a range of soft and hard pencils, fine liner pens, erasers, pencil sharpener etc. Some other materials such as paints and watercolour pencils may also be handy. The course will provide a full list of essential and optional items you can buy and provide explanations of how to use them.
I've never done any drawing before - is this course suitable for me?
Absolutely! The course is perfectly suitable for beginners to drawing as it shows some really simple techniques that can be followed step-by-step. If you can hold a pencil, you can do this course!