Sketching for Fun
Join Susan Yeates, an experienced author, artist and tutor from Magenta Sky for this online art course that explores sketching and drawing for fun.
This course is aimed at complete beginners to drawing, those returning to drawing after a break or anyone just wanting some inspiration for ways to work in a sketchbook and get rid of artist's block.
The course helps you to build up a regular drawing habit, build a body of work on paper and in sketchbooks, improve your drawing technique through regular drawing and boost your creativity.
Ultimately this course will help you to enjoy sketching!
What is this Course About?
I’m loving working through this course. The handy techniques and clear video instructions make it really easy to work though. Thanks for the inspiration - great for someone returning to drawing after a break such as myself!— Louise Sproxton, 2019
Who is This Course For?
This course is suitable for:
- Beginners to drawing
- People coming back to drawing after a break
- People looking to re-kindle their creativity
- Anyone suffering from artist's block
- Anyone wanting to make sketching fun again
- Those searching for a practical online sketching course that they can study at home
- Anyone who loves picking up a pencil and drawing
- Anyone wanting to fill their sketchbooks!
We accept students from all across the world, and as long as you have access to the internet, you can study whenever you want and wherever you want. We have no entry requirements and do not ask that you start at a particular time of the year – start when you want to!
Have fun with your sketchbook
Learn to generate ideas with ease
Express ideas and concepts through sketching
Improve your observational skills
Get creative and expressive with your art and build your personal style
Learn handy techniques for sketching using pencil and pen
Benefits of the Course
There are so many wonderful benefits to joining this online course. These include:
- Building a regular sketching habit
- Cultivate and boost your creativity
- Remove 'artists block' or 'drawing anxiety'
- Improve your drawing through regular sketching
- Understand how to use pencils, pen and charcoal using our handy technique exercises
- Learn how to use colour and work with different subject matter
- Enjoy drawing again if you have lost your passion
- Build an understanding of a number of drawing techniques
- Learn to see the world in new ways
- Remove the fear of the blank page
- Fill those blank pages and sketchbooks
- Learn how to sketch for the sake of sketching and enjoy yourself along the way
Table of Contents
What Does the Course Cover?
The course modules are listed above but to roughly outline the structure of the course:
- The course begins with a welcome and introduction - this includes introducing myself and why the course came about.
- I then go on to explain important concepts behind the course including how we aim to cultivate creativity and that there is no judgement or 'wrong'
- I explain the tools and materials for the course that will be needed and a little bit on how to use them
- I demonstrate some handy exercises for beginners to free up your sketching and get some sketches committed to paper. These include continuous line drawing, drawing 3D shapes, exploring pencil line quality and shading and blind contour drawing
- The rest of the course builds upon these foundations looking at further subject matters, exercises, techniques and projects.
- These further modules include working with objects and still life, journalling, doodling and mindful drawing, location sketching (people and places) and travel sketchbooks.
Instant Access to Course Materials and Videos
By enrolling on the course, you gain instant access to the online
learning portal where you will find all of your course materials and
guidance. This includes explanatory videos with Susan, demonstration videos, written instructions, images and downloadable PDFs.
This online course can be enrolled on at any time of year and will get you drawing and doodling in a mindful way in no time at all!
About the Course Tutor - Susan
Susan Yeates is a printmaker, art tutor and author. She has published five art books including the Amazon no. 1 bestseller Learning Linocut (2011) and Beginner's Guide to Linocut (2018). Susan and her company Magenta Sky provide art books, local classes and online tuition in drawing, art and printmaking techniques such as linocut.
In Jan 2018 Susan launched the 30 Day Sketchbook Challenge that attracted nearly 1600 people to draw something in their sketchbooks for 30 days in a row... and in 2019 that number reached 3000! It is from this challenge that Susan identified the need for a practical, simple and accessible sketching course suitable for beginners. A course that makes creativity a priority and a habit, a course that helps to remove blocks around drawing, a course that provides inspiration and advice and is ultimately fun.
Susan also offers a number of other online courses in drawing (such as Mindful Drawing and Doodling for Beginners) and printmaking (such as Learning Linocut). Please visit her website to find out more:
Why Study With Us?
- Course created and delivered by Amazon no.1 bestselling author and art tutor Susan Yeates
- Start immediately – no entry requirements
- Study at your own pace
- Easy to follow video course that can be studied anywhere with an internet connection
- No need for any expensive materials to get started - a sketchbook and some pencils will get you going!
- Developed from successful art classes and popular lesson plans
- Tried and tested teaching since 2007
- Includes online videos as well as demonstrations of techniques
- Plenty of tips, projects, exercises, useful resources and added extras
- Lifetime access to the course (as long as the course platform is accessible) - return to the content whenever you want!
A very accessible course, even for absolute beginners like me. Helped me feel more creative.— Jess Hocking, 2019
Frequently Asked Questions
How long do I have access to the course?
Forever! Once you've enrolled and paid, you'll have access to the course material for as long as you need. So devour it all in one weekend or take things slow. It's your choice!
What if I'm unhappy with my purchase?
Well, I would be sad. But if you're really unhappy with the course, just email me within 14 days to get a full refund.
I still have a question, how can I contact you?
I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have. Send me an email at email@example.com.
What materials do I need to study the course?
To study this course you only need a handful of materials, including a sketchbook, a range of soft and hard pencils, fine liner pens, some charcoal, erasers, pencil sharpener etc. Some other materials such as paints and watercolour pencils may also be handy. The course will provide a full list of essential and optional items you can buy and provide explanations of how to use them.
I've never done any drawing before - is this course suitable for me?
Absolutely! The course is perfectly suitable for beginners to drawing as it shows some really simple techniques that can be followed step-by-step. If you can hold a pencil, you can do this course! The focus is on having fun with sketching. Starting with some of the main concepts behind the course to explaining the tools and materials, to handy exercises for beginners plus a load of techniques, exercises and projects to work through.