Join Susan Yeates, an experienced art tutor from Magenta Sky, for this online course that shows you how to create simple drypoint prints from home, without the need for a press!
This course is aimed at complete beginners to drypoint printing or those coming back to printmaking after a short break wanting a refresher that is easy to follow.
It provides a simple step-by-step guide to printing drypoints, which are a very simple form of intaglio printmaking (e.g. etching.)
The course explains what tools and materials you need, how to make marks into the perspex plate, how to ink it up and finally how to print.
Who Is This Course For?
This online course is aimed at:
- beginners to drypoint printing
- those who studied printmaking many years ago and want to re-spark their creativity
- those without a press at home looking to learn how to do drypoints without having to visit a printmaking studio
- anyone who attended a short workshop and wants a more in-depth learning experience
- art students studying a generic fine art course, or artists looking to experiment with new techniques and introduce simple intaglio print into their work
- great if you want to transfer your photos or drawings into prints
- anyone looking to find out more about printmaking!
We accept students from all across the world, and as long as you have access to the internet, you can study whenever you want and wherever you want. We have no entry requirements and do not ask that you start at a particular time of the year – start when you want to!
Table of Contents
Instant Access to Course Materials and Videos
By enrolling on the course, you gain instant access to the online
learning portal where you will find all of your course materials and
guidance. This includes both videos and downloadable PDF instructions.
This online course can be enrolled on at any time of year and will get you producing drypoint prints in no time at all.
There is also a Facebook Support Group where you can interact and gain support from your tutor Susan and other students on the course - a fab way to join a community of other budding printmakers!
About the Course Tutor - Susan
"My name is Susan and if you don’t know already, I am a printmaking tutor and published author of two printmaking related books: Learning Linocut (an Amazon no.1 bestseller!) and Learn to Earn from Printmaking. There is a third on the way in 2018!
I set up my company 'Magenta Sky' in 2003, just after I left university as a part-time venture. It began as a way of selling my crafts and also teaching printmaking courses and workshops in various arts venues.
Since then I have expanded to teach more classes and workshops,
unique online printmaking course ‘Introduction to Printmaking’. This
online course (Introduction to Drypoint)
is one of the modules from this longer online programme. This course is particularly handy as most people assume that you can only produce drypoint prints using an etching press - this isn't the case! With a bit of careful work you can make them from the comfort of your own home.
All of my current printmaking and craft books, my longer online course and my printmaking blog can be found on my website
I look forward to you joining the course and seeing some of your beautiful drypoint prints in the Student Support Group on Facebook."
Owner and Author, Magenta Sky
What is Drypoint?
Drypoint is a form of intaglio printmaking, (from the Italian word intaglione meaning to engrave or cut). It is the opposite to relief printing in that the marks that you draw are the areas that will print, making it a positive not a negative process. Intaglio printing also includes etching, engraving, mezzotint and aquatint and generally involves the use of a metal plate that is cut into in some way using various tools or acids, is then inked up and printed from, traditionally using an etching press.
Drypoint is the simplest of these intaglio methods and involves scratching directly into a plate using a strong, sharp metal point.
In this course we work into perspex as the plate and burnish by hand without the need for a press (yes, a little bit of hard work is needed!)
Frequently Asked Questions
How long do I have access to the course?
Forever! Once you've enrolled and paid, you'll have access to the course material for as long as you need. So devour it all in one weekend or take things slow. It's your choice!
What if I'm unhappy with my purchase?
Well, I would be sad. But if you're really unhappy with the course, just email me within 14 days to get a full refund.
I still have a question, how can I contact you?
I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have. Send me an email at email@example.com.
What materials do I need to study the course?
The course will explain what materials are required once you register. These include inks, paper, perspex and an etching needle. You will not need a printmaking press to study the course.
Why study with us?
- Created by Amazon no.1 bestselling author Susan Yeates
- Start immediately – no entry requirements
- Study at your own pace
- Support and guidance at any stage from your tutor and other students in the online Facebook Support Group
- Easy to follow video course that can be studied anywhere with an internet connection
- No need for a printmaking press to get started!
- Developed from successful printmaking classes and our most popular lesson plans
- Tried and tested teaching since 2007
- Downloadable PDF course manual - with clear step-by-step instructions including colour photographs of all techniques covered
- Includes online videos of techniques
- Plenty of tips, useful resources and added extras
- Lifetime access to the course - return to the content whenever you want!