What is SandStory Therapy® ?
This is a gentle and safe way of working therapeutically with sand and symbols within a contained sandtray that offers clients the opportunity to tell their 'story in the sand'.
It encourages a respectful and sensitive dialogue between the unconscious and the conscious so that the wisdom from within is heard, seen and experienced. In turn, this is taken into daily life and natural, very organic shifts occur.
Roots of SandStory Therapy® :
It's roots are in the narrative tradition of Story-telling and Sandtray Therapy. This latter was developed by Margaret Lowenfeld in the early part of her work in the 1920's.
Having trained in Sandplay Therapy and studied Sandtray Therapy as well as Story-telling, Lara has developed SandStory Therapy®, in a way that complements other therapeutic approaches.
The heart of SandStory Therapy®
SandStory Therapy® has at it's heart the therapist's ability to remain grounded in their own presence and be fully present each moment to their client. It allows them to attune to their client's needs and pace which enables empowerment and growth for the client.
Who is SandStory Therapy® training for?
The training is suitable for Play and Creative Arts Therapists, Counsellors and Psychotherapists. It is best suited to those who are qualified or reaching the end of their training as it presupposes solid clinical skills.
For those therapists for whom working with sand is entirely new, you are very welcome to attend the training as well. Please fill in the appropriate section in the application form so that I can offer you any specialised support you might need to take you carefully and safely through the two days.
SandStory in Supervision training for Clinical Supervisors: offers an expansive way for supervisees to reflect on their clinical work and their own processes working with their clients, including transference and counter-transference. This is a gentle, safely structured and warmly held approach for supervisees whether they are used to creative media or not.
Next training date: 7 March 2020 - FULL. Please do register your interest with me at email@example.com for other possible dates and more detail on this 2 day training for Supervisors.
SandStory Skills: Lara has thoughtfully and carefully adapted the skills for non-therapists including Educational Psychologists, SENCO's, CAMHS workers, Social Workers, Behaviour Support Practitioners and Mental Health nurses etc, for a specially tailored training called SandStory Skills. This is essentially 'table-top work' where symbols are used on tables, on the floor, or in the sand tray for clients to 'tell their story'. As non-therapists the focus is on keeping the work at a conscious level and so having a safe, therapeutic effect without entering teh remit of therapy.
Next training date: 11 and 12 March 2020 - FULL. For other dates or to create a bespoke 2 day workshop during the weekday for Organisations and Service providers, please do contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Who can benefit from SandStory Therapy® ?
SandStory Therapy® fits well with children from the age of 8 years onward, teenagers/young adults and adults right through to senior adults. It can be used in multiple ways and for a spectrum of referral issues:
- Individual therapy/counselling
- Group work
- Family work
- Couples work
- Parent work
- Support groups such as bereavement or addiction groups
So, if you are a therapist or counsellor who:
- tries to meet the needs of your clients where they are at each moment
- believes in your client's own powerful inner wisdom to bring them to their individual fullness
- sees the simple beauty and congruence in the dialogue between your client's unconscious with their conscious
- wants your client's intuition to guide them [not any advice they might seek from you]
- celebrate the shifts within your client and the translation of growth and change in their daily lives
- trusts in or are intrigued by the unique power of sand as a powerful therapeutic medium
- look to safely hold your client's process and the material that arises through your connectedness to your own presence
- is looking to expand your skill set
- is intrigued by creative therapy and/or want to learn more about using sand therapeutically
Then SandStory Therapy® Training may be a wonderful skill to add to your 'toolkit' of skills whether you offer creative therapy already or mainly talking therapy. It uses materials you already may have - particularly if you are a Play Therapist, a Sandplay or Creative Arts Therapist - or they can easily and inexpensively be gathered.
SandStory Therapy® 2 day Workshops are available from September 2018 in London, UK. Please see below for 2019 dates - as well as new dates for 2020.
Please consider the following points before applying:
- Working therapeutically with sand opens 'the subliminal door to the unconscious'. Training is essential and requires a high level of safety and ethical integrity in the therapist. Therefore, the focus of the training is on delivering SandStory Therapy® sessions in a way that is ethical, safe, gentle and empowering for our clients.
- As with all therapeutic training, there is a high level of experiential work. This can activate the participants' unconscious and trigger ongoing material. Participants are encouraged to hold themselves safely and appropriately within the containment offered by a training - not therapy - group.
- It is expected that, as a qualified therapist or counsellor, you are accessing regular clinical supervision and that your SandStory Therapy® work can be discussed within those sessions. However, if you do wish to discuss your SandStory Therapy® work with Lara, she would be delighted to support you.
If you would like to know more and for an application form please do contact me at email@example.com.
Upcoming training dates as well as an outline of the Weekend Workshop is given below.
Outine of SandStory Therapy® Workshop:
- Welcome and introductions
- Connecting with the sand
- The genesis of SandStory Therapy®
- What is SandStory Therapy®? - a demonstration
- Experiential practice
- The differences between Sandplay Therapy, Sandtray Therapy and SandStory Therapy®
- The 5 elements of SandStory Therapy®
- Creative exercise - using clay to create SandSymbols
- Check out
- The therapist's presence - grounding through mindfulness
- Experiential practice
- Story-making and narrative structures in the sand tray
- Experiential practice
- The 5 steps of a SandStory Therapy® session
- Experiential practice
- The SandStory Therapy® client - bringing this to your work with children and young people; case studies
- The SandStory Therapy® client - bringing this to your work with adults; case studies
- Group experiential exercise
- Closing and check-out
Learning is in a [maximum] group of 4 and with times for pair and individual work. It is offered through a mixture of presentations, interactive experiential exercises, reflection and discussion.
I couldn't have asked for a better trainer and course to be on. I have enjoyed every single moment and look forward to learning more and using it.— C. Bardoe
Lara has a wonderful ability to demonstrate presence and therapeutic holding. I felt very safe and contained through-out the weekend. The nurture and homely environment really facilitated the training. Lara is so encouraging - I need to bottle Lara!— C. O'Brien
Fantastic to be with like-minded therapists in such a safe, holding space. I felt able to go deeper than expected in the experiential exercises - i would love to do more of this. I feel excited to offer SandStory going forward with my clients.— E. Cleaton
Thank you to Lara for an amazing SandStory Therapy training weekend. You taught me another perspective on how to use my presence as the most powerful part of this work with clients. I have learned to trust myself. Thanks for empowering me.— N. Malcolm
Please note Workshops in 2020 will run on Weekends and on Weekdays (Thursdays and Fridays)
If you and 3 others would like to attend together, please let Lara know and we will arrange a date that suits the 4 of you.
Workshop dates 2020:
- 18 and 19 January - FULL
- 6 and 7 February - FULL
- 21 and 22 March - FULL
- 30 and 31 May (end of half-term week) - FULL
- 27 and 28 June - 4 spaces available
- 2 and 3 July (Thursday/Friday) - 2 spaces available. Please note a BSL interpreter will be present
- 19 and 20 September - 4 spaces available
- 22 and 23 October (Thursday/Friday) - 2 spaces available
- 28 and 29 November - Chapter 2 (advanced level, for those who completed Chapter 1 training only) - FULL
- 12 and 13 December - Chapter 2 (advanced level, for those who completed Chapter 1 training only)
Frequently Asked Questions
Where is the training based?
It is based at my private practice where I offer SandStory Therapy®, Supervision, Coaching, Creative Self-Care days for therapists and Training. It's great to see a real-life practice and I have a vast amount of symbols as well as several sandtrays for use. The full address and directions are given after you enroll. Here is the rest: Drummond Drive, Stanmore, Middlesex HA7 3PF, UK.
What is the cost of the training?
The fee is £300 for the 2 days. This can be paid once or, if you need to, in 2 installments of £150 each. You can pay via PayPal or using your card. Please note that payment must be made in full before the start date of the training.
What time does the training start and end for these workshops?
On Day 1 we will start at 9am and have a morning and afternoon break with an hour for lunch and end at 5 pm. On Day 2, we can negotiate a slightly later start if we have covered what we needed to the day before and aim to end at 5 pm ... but if there is some wiggle room we will try to end a little earlier so you can beat the rush in getting home. The timetable will work to you!
How do I get to the SandStory Centre?
Once you book on, you will receive the full address of the SandStory Centre, based in Stanmore. This is accessible by underground tube station (Jubilee line). There is a 10 minute car journey from Stanmore tube station and a taxi cab right at the station (Jubilee cars at 020 8954 8000). Alternatively Harrow and Wealdstone tube and train station is served by London Northwestern Railway and Southern overground trains as well as the London Underground Bakerloo line. This is a 6 minute car journey away from the SandStory Centre. Main roads are M25 and M1. If you are coming by car, I do recommend the free app 'Waze' - it's saved me loads of time and stress. Coming by air? Heathrow airport is the nearest airport.
What accommodation is there?
The nearest accommodation is Grimsdyke Hotel which is a 6 minute drive from the SandStory Centre. Their website is https://www.bestwestern.co.uk/hotels/best-western-plus-grims-dyke-hotel-83956. Always check www.trivago.co.uk for best room deals. There is also a local Bed & Breakfast called Janet's B&B which is a 6 minute drive.
What happens with meals?
I'll be honest - I'm the worst cook ever. So (for health and safety reasons!) please bring a packed lunch. Tea, coffee, biscuits, crisps and fruit and all other manner of refreshments are provided through-out the day (I believe in choccy biscuits and a kettle on the boil!). There is a kitchen available for your use serving hot chocolate, latte, and cappuchino. Thanks to Twinings there is every tea under the sun. But do bring your own faves too.
How can I make the most of the learning experience - and more enjoyable?
Bring your favourite mug, your beloved tea bags, comfy slippers! Also please let me know anything you feel is important to you and is relevant to your learning process (for example, any health issues, personal circumstances, or learning needs). I am here to support your learning.
Is there anything I need to bring for the training?
Well, apart from any creature comforts and your lunch, it would be great if you could bring a camera (your phone camera is fine), All will be explained! I'll supply everything else you'll need. A workbook and pen (oh yes!) are provided.
Is this a CPD accredited course?
Yes! There are 14 CPD hours accredited for the training by the CPD Standards Office.
What if I have to cancel attending the training?
Ah, that would be sad but 'life happens'. Here's my cancellation policy (written according to the Consumer Contracts Regulation, 2013) - any questions do email me:
The full training fee (£300) is due when the booking is made. Paying in instalments (2x £150) is possible. Cancellation of a booking by the participant must be received in writing. A non-refundable admin fee is always retained for non-attendance. Lara will offer other training dates and if this is not possible for the participant who is cancelling then charges apply as follows: [a] 2 weeks before the course: 50% of the fee [b] Less than 2 weeks before the course: 100% of the fee due to the difficulty of finding a new participant. Should a participant withdraw the day before a course starts (e.g. due to personal or family illness or other emergency), Lara will make reasonable arrangements for the participant to transfer to another course. If this is not possible, a full refund will be made subject to satisfactory medical evidence. Should a participant withdraw from a course once the training has commenced there will be no return of the fee. Refunds will be made using the same method of payment as used for purchasing within 14 days of the cancellation. Should the training be cancelled by Lara Kasza a full refund will be available if the proposed replacement dates are not suitable..
What else is included in the training?
Well, I'm glad you asked! At the start of the training, you will receive a SandStory Therapy® Workbook that we will go through.
There will also be some time to create your very own SandSymbols (my word for the objects and miniatures that we will use) and these are yours to keep and take home. You can start building your own set!
But more than all this, you will thoroughly enjoy the company of some other like-minded, warm and experienced therapists, have time to do experiential work - yes! we will be playing in the sand! - and you'll go home pretty tired but with a whole new skill to use with the right clients. Pretty good, huh?
I still have a question, how can I contact you?
I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have. Send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.