I still remember the day I realized that I could have my very own little farm in the backyard. I envisioned chickens giving me fresh eggs and organic meat while they pecked around in the grass on the search for worms, berries, and dandelions. I heard goats playfully bleating while waiting to get on the milk stand. I smelt fresh herbs soaking up the sunshine before being added to a homemade pasta dish (with tomato sauce from my own garden).....
If you've ever had these daydreams but figuring out how to start a backyard homestead had you heading straight for the grocery store instead- then this is the class for you!
Designed for beginners, Co-Founder of Hudson Valley Kinders Farm, Stephanie Wyant, gently guides you through the thought process needed before actually breaking out the shovel and digging in.
What You'll Learn
- How homesteading became a "thing"
- How to evaluate your backyard to see how much you can really do
- Plan what you'll need to grow or raise enough food for your whole family
- Ways to preserve your homegrown food
- 1/10, 1/4, and 1/2 acre example homesteads
- Ways to think "outside the box" by reusing or recycling other materials
- Alternative ways to homestead without going broke
Who Should Take This Class
- You are a beginner with no prior knowledge of homesteading besides a small garden or a few chickens
- You are open minded about the idea of meat animals
- You rather plans things out, step by step, instead of just diving in
How in-depth will we go?
This is a simple class designed to just highlight what it takes to start your own backyard homestead
How much does it cost?
$10 which includes all worksheets
Are there follow up classes? I'd like to get more in-depth
Yes! We have or will have classes on every topic from chickens and goats to organic vegetables and soap making.