Herbal Freedom School (Part 1) On-going
School of Liberatory Medicine
Herbal Freedom School
If you have been hungering for a liberatory, decolonial, intersectional perspective on
modern western herbalism plant medicine that centers the voices of indigenous, black, brown, queer, trans and gender non-conforming folks, then this is the space for you. We will draw on themes from the resource guides Partnering with Plants and Queering Herbalism volume 1 to paint a more inclusive (and more accurate) portrait of our herbal legacy.
During Part 1 of the full Herbal Freedom School Program we will discuss:
- the effects of colonization and colonialism on our healing legacies and within "modern western herbalism".
- colonial views on healing and the separation of spirituality from our healing practices.
We will also:
In Part 1
- define health, healing and medicine for ourself.
- define liberatory medicine and liberation for ourself.
- discuss legacies of black and brown healing and health justice.
- Look at our definition of "healer" and the long legacy of queer, trans, two-spirit and gender non-conforming healers in our traditions.
- Look at different black and brown ancestral healing traditions while furthering our connections to our own ancestral traditions.
In Part 2
- Discuss the importance of the connection with plants in ceremony and ritual like spiritual baths and different sacred sweats.
- Connect with our intuition and practice basic medicine making at home.
- Talk about historical and collective trauma
- Share strategies to heal from trauma, depression, anxiety and stress.
And all with an intersectional focus. Throughout we will discuss race and ethnicity, class, gender, sexuality and how all intersect with access to food, environmental and economic justice, and health and healing justice.
This is the first part of the program where we will discuss liberatory medicine, decolonial health and healing and ancestral healing traditions.
** This session is self-paced. There will be no online/teleconference sessions and some of the comment sections will be closed. There will be online discussion forums where you can connect with others in your session through this website and the facebook "Herbal Freedom School- Part 1" group.
Created byToi Scott