You are invited to spend the next 27 days exploring creative ways to investigate your grief experiences. Grief can be many things for each of us. Overwhelming. Confounding. Breaking our hearts open. And more. The creative prompts offered in this self-directed course are aimed at giving you an opportunity to enact a different approach to your relationship with grief experiences.
In these prompts, we're personifying grief as if s/he were a character we are interacting with in life, and each prompt asks you to investigate different aspects of this character. You are welcome to respond in whatever medium you might like. As an example of how this works:
- The prompt might be something like: "Grief shows up to an interview. What is s/he wearing? How do they present themselves?"
- You can respond in a journaling type, free-writing type of way.
- Or you can use it as the beginning of fleshing out a whole character development. You might go beyond just what Grief is wearing to also investigate what Grief is listening to on her/his iPod as they ride the bus to the interview.
- Or you can use it as the title of a poem and do a poetic response.
- Or you could do a drawing or painting of the scene might look like.
- Or you could even do a movement type response where you get up and move around (you are responsible for assessing and for any risk in your health for doing movement) in the ways Grief might present itself in the scene.
- You can take the response in any creative direction you like.
- You then have private, comment section space at the bottom of each day's prompt page where you are free to share as much or as little as you like about how you did this investigation or exploration of your relationship to/with grief or recognition of grief; what you discovered; what was surprising; or whatever you like about your creative experiments exploring creativity and resiliency in the face of grief.
Features of this course include:
- The same day that you register for this course, you'll get the welcome + logistics information immediately.
- Then each day, for 27 days after your registration day, you'll get a new creative prompt Lesson that opens up to you.
- This course offers participants comment space at the bottom of each prompt Lesson page.
- This online, private space is open only to participants and is available 24/7, so you can read prompts and post replies any time of day or night on your own schedule.
- As facilitator for this self-direct course, I (Kara) will get notifications of your shares, questions, reflections. I will do my best to check in within 48-72 hours of notifications if replies are needed.
Enrollment is open on an on-going basis.
Please see the FAQ below for more details to questions others have asked.
Creator heARTist of this session is moi, Kara Jones of GriefAndCreativity.com, and I look forward to sharing these creative prompts with each of you!
Frequently Asked Questions
I want to join, but life is busy. Will this course involve a great deal of time and effort?
As with any online offering, the more you put into it, the more you will get out of it. That said, no, this is not an intensive course necessarily. This is a self-directed session, offering creative prompts once a day for 27 days, and you are welcome to share as much or as little in this private space as you like. Unlike in-person workshops, you get private classroom space that is open 24/7, so you get creative prompts plus room to share your experiences at any time along the way.
If I decide I will be short on time during the 27 days, can I get a refund on my registration fee?
No, I'm sorry, we are not offering refunds. This session drip feeds content for 27 days, but you can access it at any time, in your own pace, for as long as you like. The session space is not going anywhere even after the end of the 27 days. So once you register, you actually get the entire course, even if your schedule ends up conflicted with the 27 consecutive days of the initial content feed. The facilitator will get notices of new posts and will reply as time is available, generally within 48-72 hours. Let us know if you have questions around this before you register! Contact email@example.com.
Is this a therapy group?
No. This is a self-paced session for exploring creative approaches to grief and life experiences; for exploring how you yourself make meaning and expression with whatever is happening for you. While there is a facilitator in our online classroom (moi), I am just one person. I am not available as crisis intervention, and this is not meant to be private session coaching for each and every person. That said, this type of session is a good companion to whatever therapy you are doing already to support yourself. Please practice responsibility (ability to respond) for whatever needs you have medically, mentally, physically.
I still have a question, how can I contact you?
I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have. Send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
My grief is non-death related. Can I still join this course?
Yes. All are welcome, whatever your grief experience circumstances are! Often death related experiences (death of child, spouse, other loved one, pet) are acknowledged as grief in our culture, whereas non-death related experiences (divorce, loss of job, chronic illness, major change like immigration) are not. In this course, we are aiming to offer creative grief space to anyone, whatever your circumstances might be. We will not be playing "grief olympics" nor placing experiences on a "hierarchy of grief." Whatever grief experience you bring to the table, is your grief experience. And we will aim to help you find creative approaches to whatever your experiences are.
Created byKara Jones