Define Your Style - Jan. 2014
Note: Please read the entire course description before enrolling. Once you enroll, refunds will not be issued under any circumstances.
Define your decorating style in just 5 weeks!
Class starts Monday, January 13, 2014!
Define Your Style is a five week e-course designed to lead you through the process of exploring different decorating styles and your personal preferences to ultimately declare your unique decorating style. At the end of this course, you’ll be able to confidently name and describe your personal decorating style.
Knowing and communicating your decorating style is the most powerful step you can take towards creating a home you love and a home that reflects you.
Whether you want to decorate your home yourself or work with a professional, understanding and owning your style is the first and most important step. You need to be able to clearly articulate your style to get the best result. It is a huge misconception that you hire a designer to do that for you. Sure, they can decorate your home in their signature style, but it will never really feel like your space. When you start working with a professional the first thing they will do is ask you about your style. If you don't know they will ask more questions about what you like to try to determine your style. If you give generic answers or don't know, it makes it very difficult for the designer to achieve a room you will love and will feel like you. This course is designed to help get you past the biggest sticky spot in decorating, whether you are working with a professional or doing it yourself.
Defining Your Style is empowering. It will make you more confident decorating your home, shopping for your home, and describing it to others.
You’ve seen how effortlessly your favorite bloggers and designers decorate their homes in a signature style and want the same ease decorating your home. You want to embrace a decorating style you love and can use throughout your home. But you’re worried that…
- You won’t be able to find your decorating style
- You’re not a designer and only designers have a signature style
- People won’t like or understand your style
- Even if you knew your style, you would still never be able to decorate your own space
In Define Your Style, you’ll define your signature style that you can use to decorate your home and communicate your style to others (either to design professionals, via your blog, or when picking out paint at the home improvement store). You will gain the confidence you need to proudly share your style.
There are so many free style quizzes that claim they can diagnose your style. Most are created by retailers to funnel you into one of their favorite styles and subsequently their products that fit your recommended style. Any 5-minute quiz diagnosing your style through a series of pictures is a hoax. Even if the result is accurate, it is a style for the masses, not uniquely for you.
What sets Define Your Style apart is it’s emphasis on defining your one-of-a-kind decorating style.
You love your home. Define Your Style will show you how to love your style, so you can infuse your home with it.
This course includes:
- A private video tour of all three of my homes, so you can see the true evolution of style...and surprisingly how hints of my style were always in front of me, although I felt lost in my first two homes
- 3 style truths you must agree with to claim your style
- 5 common decorating fears and how to overcome them
- A step-by-step process you can use to evaluate inspiration images to help you pinpoint your style
- How to recognize the difference between things you love, and must-have in your home, and things you merely appreciate, that would probably be better for someone else's home
- The 15 most popular decorating styles and how to identify them in terms of feeling, color scheme, furniture lines, symmetry, and the type of art, decor, and accessories used in each style
- A list of common terms and words used to describe the most popular styles to identify exactly what you like and dislike about each style
- 5 approaches to personalize your decorating
- A 5-lesson exercise series to define, name, and describe your decorating style
- A video exercise to show you how to clearly and concisely communicate your style
- 5 strategies to transition to your new decorating style no matter what your budget or starting point is
- 5 step process for combining styles with your significant other without arguments or alienating someone from the decorating process
As a member of Define Your Style, you’ll receive…
- Access to a private course website to view and download all the course materials
- Five weeks of lessons (15 individual lessons), including a mix of video, text, pictures, worksheets, and exercises designed to guide you through every step of defining your style
- A bonus "lesson" including a list of my favorite sources categorized by style, so you can get a jumpstart on decorating in your newly defined style
- Access to a comments section on every lesson to interact with other students and me. I will actively monitor the site to respond to your comments and answer any course related questions.
- The support and guidance you need to define your style, including naming it, describing it, and confidently sharing it!
About Your Teacher
I’m Jackie Hernandez, a self-taught interior decorator and lover of all things home. I share my passion for home decorating and DIY (do-it-yourself) projects on my blog Teal & Lime. I have also helped over 125 clients redecorate their homes with my online decorating services.
I am just a real person with a passion for decorating and a knack for teaching. I created this course because I want to help other real people decorate their homes in an easy and approachable way. Define Your Style is the first step to confidently decorating for yourself.
I think this is the most important decorating class you can take. I can't teach you anything else until you know your style. It doesn't matter what you know about color theory, furniture placement, or styling until you first know your style. Define Your Style will be the foundation you need to feel confident decorating your home.
I created Define Your Style because I know there isn’t a shortcut quiz that can tell you how to decorate your home. And, you can’t just find your style...all you will find is someone else’s style. You have to define your style. I know through my own experiences owning three homes and writing a decorating blog, you have to take the reigns in your home....you have to embrace the inner you...you have to learn what you like and what you don’t like...so that you might define yourself as a decorating style. My style is DIY Modern, which is simple, fun, and handmade...just like me. I know figuring out your style on your own can take years (it did for me). That’s why I created Define Your Style to accelerate and guide you through the style exploration process.
I believe most challenges with decorating stem from not knowing your style. Have you ever...
- bought things only to bring them home and not like them, or realize they don't fit?
- changed your mind frequently or felt restless with your decor (not to be confused with having fun styling and moving things around every once and a while)?
- felt uncomfortable in a particular room or in your home in general?
- felt your home does not reflect you and your personality?
I am here to help you change all of that. By the end of this course you should be able to clearly state your personal decorating style and fully explain what it means. To get you prepared to start decorating in your newly defined style, we will also explore how to transition to a new style in your home or enhance your existing style.
Define Your Style is a five week program that kicks off on Monday, January 13, 2014. Each week of Define Your Style will bring you one step closer to creating your signature home style.
- Week 1: Welcome + Exploring Styles – In week one, you will hear my personal decorating journey and how I defined my style. You will also start exploring various styles and identifying what you like and dislike about them.
- Week 2: Popular Styles - In week two, we’ll get familiar with the most popular decorating styles. You will learn how to identify each of the syles and look at examples. You will explore how your likes and dislikes for each style impact your signature style.
- Week 3: Starting to Define Your Style – In week three, you’ll start defining your signature style through a series of exercises to help you identify your specific style. You’ll develop an initial style definition that we will refine in the second half of the course.
- Week 4: Declare Your Style – Week four is a big one, you will dig deep to expand upon your initial style definition. You’ll be working towards a crystal clear name and style description. By the end of week four, you will declare your style and share it with the class.
- Week 5: Transitioning, Combining, and Evolving Styles – In week five, we will discuss how to move forward into your new style. You will also learn some tips for combining styles to make everyone in your home happy. The course will close with a lesson on how your style will evolve with time and changes in your life.
- Bonus: Style Sources – On the last day of class, I will share my favorite sources in each of the style categories. Sources will be limited to online, US-based furniture and home decor stores.
When does the class start?
Define Your Style starts Monday, January 13, 2014 and runs for five weeks. You can download all the content during the course and access the course site for two additional weeks after the class finishes.
Who is this course for?
This course is for anyone with a place to call home. I’ve designed the course for anyone that wants to create a signature style for their home. The ideal student is interested in decorating and design (not necessarily doing it themselves) and wants to learn how to define their style so they can create a truly personal home they love.
Does the course meet at a certain time? Does it matter what part of the world I’m in?
Define Your Style is a virtual course, and you can participate from anywhere at anytime! New lessons will be posted three days a week (M-W-F), and you can log into the site at any time during the course to view them. You can work through the materials at your own pace, but it is recommended you complete the lessons in order, as they build upon each other.
Students anywhere in the world are welcome to attend, but course materials will only be provided in English.
How much time can I expect to spend on the course?
New lessons will be posted three days a week (M-W-F). You can expect to spend anywhere between 1-3 hours total each week reviewing the content and completing the exercises. Some people may work through the content more quickly, and others may want to spend more time. All the content will help you develop your own signature style, which takes time and focus, but is also a really fun exercise!
How long will I have access to the course materials?
All material on the course site will be available for two weeks following the end of the course (that’s 7 weeks total). All materials will also be available to download during the course, so you can access them forever!
How can I contact you, the course instructor?
During the course, the best way to contact me to discuss course materials or ask questions will be in the comments section on the course site. I will actively be monitoring the comments and replying to any questions. Please keep all class related questions on the course site, so others can benefit from seeing my answer to your question. You can also connect with me via my blog and social media platforms...click visit my profile in the upper right hand corner of the course site under my profile picture.
If you have any issues with the course site or wish to contact me after the course is over, you can reach me via email at tealandlime [at] gmail [dot] com.
How are payments handled?
Payment is securely processed via PayPal and can be made using your PayPal balance or credit card. Please note that all course correspondence will be sent to the email address associated with your PayPal account.
What happens after I enroll in the course?
If this is your first course on CourseCraft you will be asked to make a login and password after you click enroll. This will be how you login to CourseCraft for all classes you enroll in. Once you are logged in, your payment will be processed and you will receive two emails. The first will welcome you to CourseCraft. The second will show that you are enrolled in this course.
On the first day of class, I will send a welcome email to all enrolled students reminding you to log in to access your first lesson.