Can you start up a blog and become a big overnight success? Probably not. Can you start a blog and work on it part time and make a living? Probably not. But if you approach your blog as a business it is possible to make blogging your career.
I started my career as a TV personality in Canada. I hosted a number of home-design programs on some of the worlds largest networks including HGTV and W Network. I launched the Art of Doing Stuff three years ago as a creative outlet for my endless home projects. Within 3 months my blog was featured on Apartment Therapy, Design*Sponge and Lifehacker. And so my career in blogging began.
When I started my blog I made no money. At all. For two years. In fact I had to beg for money from my readers by putting up a donation button in my sidebar. If it hadn’t been for those donations I would have had to shut the blog down and go back to hosting television shows.
While I loved my career in television, I just like blogging at little bit more at this point in my life. I have complete creative control, no one tells me I can’t swear. (not even my mother)
And that is why I created this course. I want every one of you to discover the excitement of building a career around the thing you are most passionate about. This course will give you a behind-the-scenes look at how I was able to turn blogging into a full-time career, and give you the tools you need to launch your own blogging career.
SESSION ONE: FINDING YOUR VOICE
The key to creating an exceptional blog is your ability to create amazing content. You need to be an excellent writer and/or photographer and have ideas that are unique to anyone else’s. If your ideas aren’t all that unique, you’d better be an exceptionally exceptional writer and/or photographer.
Session one will give you an inside look into what makes some of the most successful bloggers unique, and show you totally new ways to think about your own blog.
- Finding your voice. The most important part of your blog is your unique voice. Find out how to write in a way that conveys your personality.
- Creating a niche for your blog that will help you stand out from the rest.
- The strategies behind some of the most successful blogs on the internet, and what makes them unique.
- New ways to think about your own blog, that allow you to build a career around your strengths.
SESSION TWO THE ART OF CONTENT
Creating content on a regular basis can be the most overwhelming part of blogging. I will show you how to come up with new content ideas and how to manage the content creation process and I will introduce you to my favorite blogging tools.
You will leave this session with a deep understanding of how to create amazing content, and you will learn how to build your blog views into a substantial engaged readership.
- New ways to approach content creation so you never run out of blog post ideas.
- Developing projects and content series that align with the purpose of your blog.
- Creating editorial calendars, developing new content ideas and planning posts in advance.
- Strategies for organizing your blog content and planning projects to keep you on track.
SESSION THREE: BUILDING AN AUDIENCE
The most difficult part about blogging isn’t the work itself (unless you’re blogging about doing home dental surgery), it’s building an audience. It’s also the most important, because the size and engagement of your audience directly affects your potential to make money and keep making money.
- Strategies to get readers to your site and keep them there.
- Creating reader engagement: readers who comment, inquire and interact.
- What the 3 best forms of promotion for any website are.
- Everything you ever wanted to know about using social media, guest posting and press coverage to build an audience for your blog.
- Making sense of blog statistics.
SESSION FOUR: THE BUSINESS OF BLOGGING
Along with blogging there’s the rest of life, of course, as well as the business of blogging (Dealing with advertising, and blog partners and changes to the site). It all takes an enormous amount of time, creative energy and time. And more time.
In this session, we will explore a variety of ways to make money with your site including selling your own ad space, using vertical ad networks, taking part in affiliate programs, writing sponsored posts and creating long-lasting brand affiliations.
- Selling advertising on your blog
- Making money with Amazon affiliate links.
- Creating brand partnerships, ( or how I got major brands, including Home Depot, on board to completely renovate my kitchen).
- Managing Taxes. Yup. Gotta keep track and gotta pay 'em.
SESSION FIVE: BLOGGING Q&A
Hear Karen answer course participants biggest blogging questions.
What is included in this course?
This course will give you access to (5) hour-long video sessions featuring me. In addition, you will get access to daily lessons that are packed with links and resources for you. The best part?
How long can I access the course?
You will have lifetime access to the content, so this can be a resources as you grow your blogging career.
What if I hate the course, and want a refund?
If you don't enjoy the course, send me an email and I will give you a full refund. No questions asked.