Permaculture Design For Resilience & Regeneration - Certification Course 2020/21
“Sitting at our back doorsteps, all we need to live a good life lies about us. Sun, wind, people, buildings, stones, sea, birds and plants surround us. Cooperation with all these things brings harmony, opposition to them brings disaster and chaos.” - Bill Mollison
Gather together with like minded people online to learn about how nature designs itself and how we can become conscious designers ourselves. We will learn how to map and design our land and our lives, plan for emergencies, grow organic food in all four seasons, build community and work to build a more regenerative future.
This flexible and comprehensive online course has 18 classes with 57 hours of live online classes that include dynamic discussions, break out groups, demonstrations and integrative activities.
On the course platform, the program is broken down into over 140 lessons and includes additional videos, applied homework, course projects and other resources that makes the course well over 72 hours. There are also information sheets that will be released with each class and when put together will create a 200+ pg digital course book. There is interactive dialogue on the course platform. To top it off, participants will receive bonus access to the Herbal Preparations & Plant Allies course that has 30 additional hours of live online instruction and supplementary course materials. Learn more here : https://coursecraft.net/course...
All online classes will be recorded for participants to rewatch at their convenience.
Taught by a dynamic facilitator, this class caters to anyone wanting to learn regenerative design in a creative way. It is a flexible course with an ideal evening and weekend class schedule for workers, entrepreneurs, students or those with dynamic routines, catering to the busyness of modern life.
The certification granted upon completion of the course will empower participants as permaculture designers, consultants and beginner teachers. Graduates will be able to use the word permaculture legally in their practice, business or project. This sustainability education eco-training certificate is a practical path for greening your life, resume and portfolio. There is no time limit to complete the certification.
Working toward certification is not a requirement. Students may attend the course without completing the material required to attain the certificates. It’s a fun way to journey with likeminded people with experiential education. There is no time limit to complete the certification.
Course Topics include design methods, pattern literacy, soils and composting, water, trees, animals, design for cool/tropical/arid climates, social permaculture, native food and medicine plants of the Coastal First Peoples and more.
Optional activities throughout the course include: design charettes, earthworks demonstration, integrative games, compost building, soil testing, plant & tree identification, water audit, medicine making and homesteading.
This is a unique course with an exciting teaching tool kit that transforms lectures into games and group discussions and focusses on multi dimensional learning. Apply your learnings to the focus project for the program which is to start a map and design for where you live or an area of your choice.
Successful completion of this course offers graduates their choice of legitimate and formal certificate through Permaculture Institute (www.permaculture.org).
Special pricing in effect to reflect our current times!
- Full Pay - $444
- Payment plans available - 3x monthly payments of $148
- Pay it Forward - $555 (this supports a person in need to attend at a substantially discounted rate)
Some full and partial scholarships available for those in financial need. Please contact for details. Also, if you have any questions, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Full course syllabus below..
Kym Chi is a dedicated healer, grounding herself through earth stewardship, people care and regenerative action. As a dynamic woman, her main passions are Permaculture design, creative facilitation, visual art, holistic healing and community building.
To date; Kym has received 3 certificates in Permaculture Design, completed multiple teacher trainings from elder Permaculture educators, taken a variety of advanced trainings, completed a Diploma in Permaculture Education and has over 2000 hours facilitation experience.
She is a chartered Herbalist and has completed advanced herbal studies with Susun Weed, Dina Falconi, Barbara Cotgrave and Robert A. Bartlett. With a love of learning, she continues to take courses that grow her understanding of the natural world.
Through her stewardship of a deepened connection with the environment, Kym wishes to inspire connection with the natural environment, oneself and the greater community to invoke creative self expression and value centred living, enriching and creating healthy, abundant habitats and communities.
With a focus on Social Permaculture, people care and life design, Kym works with empowerment models, enjoys encouraging others on their life path and focusses on ways to support organizations and communities to become more resilient.
Her success is measured on the successes of her students, allies and friends.
Kym lives on the West Coast of Canada where she homesteads, teaches Permaculture, runs a holistic healing practice and mentors others.
2020/ 21 Fall and Winter Dates
- November 7th- Intro to Design - 10am - 1pm pst
- November 14th - Foundational Concepts - 10am - 1pm pst
- November 21st - Design Methods- 10am - 1pm pst
- November 28th - Pattern Literacy - 10am - 1pm pst
- December 5th - Design for Soil - 10am - 1pm pst
- December 12th- Design for Trees - 10am - 1pm pst
- No classes December 19th and 26th, 2020
- January 2nd - Design for Animals - 10am - 1pm pst
- January 9th - Design for Water Pt 1. -10am - 1pm pst
- January 16th - Design for Water Pt 2 - 10am - 1pm pst
- January 23rd - Design for Climate- 10am - 1pm pst
- January 30th- Design for Cool Climate - 10am - 1pm pst
- February 6th - Design for Tropics - 10am - 1pm pst
- February 13th - Design for Drylands - 10am - 1pm pst
- February 20th - Social Permaculture Pt. 1 - 10am - 1pm pst
- February 27th - Social Permaculture Pt. 2 - 10am - 1pm pst
- March 6th - Social Permaculture Pt. 3 - 10am - 6pm pst
- March 13th - Design Presentations - 10am - 4pm pst
- March 20th - Design Futures - 10am - 1pm pst
Herbal Allies and Plant Preparations Course Dates:
- March 24th - Introduction - 6:30pm - 9pm
- March 31st - Teas - 6:30pm - 9pm
- April 7th - Poultices & Compresses - 6:30pm - 9pm
- No class on April 14th
- April 21st - Tinctures - 6:30pm - 9pm
- April 28th - Herbal Vinegars, Glycerites and Honey infusions - 6:30pm - 9pm
- May 5th- Essences & Toner - 6:30pm - 9pm
- May 12th - Oil Infusions - 6:30pm - 9pm
- May 19th - Salves - 6:30pm - 9pm
- May 26th - Creams - 6:30pm - 9pm
- June 2nd - Lozenges - 6:30pm - 9pm
- June 9th - Fermentation - 6:30pm - 9pm
- June 16th - Canning - 6:30pm - 9pm
Table of Contents
Frequently Asked Questions
How long do I have access to the course?
Once you've enrolled and paid, you'll have access to the course material for as long as you like.
What if I'm unhappy with my purchase? Or decide not to attend?
If you decide to cancel before the course start date, I will be happy to offer a you a full refund. Once the program starts, if you are unhappy with the course, just email me within 7 days from the first class date and I will happily give you a refund minus 10% admin fee. Remember that if you miss a class, you will have access to the video recording within 48 hrs of the scheduled session and then can watch it at any time that is convenient for you.
Why can't I access all of the lessons right away?
This course is designed with drip lessons so that you everyone receives course resources in alignment with the live sessions. You will be given access to each lesson a couple of days prior to the scheduled live class on that topic.
I still have a question, how can I contact you?
I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have. Send me an email at email@example.com.
Do I have to attend all of the live classes, or can I watch the recordings at my leisure?
All classes will be recording for viewing after the live classes. If you want to gain the certification, I will require that you do not miss more than 4 of the live Permaculture classes (which are taking place on the Saturday mornings). You will still be required to watch recordings of any classes that you miss on the honour system. If you have to miss more than 4 of the live classes, you can make them up in any future classes on that topic or I can offer you 1:1 make up classes that are 2 hours long for $60.
The Herbal portion of the class (most of the Wednesday evenings) will not be required for certification, so videos for those classes can be watched at anytime and will not effect graduation.
If you are not concerned about receiving the certification, you can miss as many live classes as you wish and still access recordings anytime after they are posted.
"I feel so lucky that I was able to take this class! It opened up so many ideas for me to integrate into different facets of my life."
"Kym Chi is an excellent teacher, her coursework is very thorough and draws from a variety of experts and methodologies in the field of Permaculture. Kym is compassionate and brings out the best in her students. I highly recommend her Permaculture course."
- George Thomas
"Co-create, Open heartedly, Vision, Inspired, Do-ocracy. This course has a wealth of information and practical ideas for retooling our culture so we can collectively heal and regenerate ourselves, our communities and our common Earth home. Kym masterfully facilitates a learning, inclusive class space. Through the evolving lens of permaculture , all our neighbourhoods can be revitalized and enriched. Thanks to Kym and all my classmates, I carry a seed of hope growing deeper roots. "
- Denise Lagasse, Xwilkway, Halfmoon Bay, BC
"I can't think of a more versatile and empowering course for our current times. Learning specific regenerative skills and strategies with a like-minded group, clear and empathic instruction and above all, a hopeful outlook was invaluable to my life right now." - Mireille
"What a wonderful class and wonderful people to share, learn and grow with. Opened my eyes to a new way of living!"- Colleen
"Kym teaches with high integrity and so much grace. The online Permaculture Design Course was the best online course I've done so far. It was interactive and engaging. The materials provided on the course platform helped my learning and I appreciate how I can review the recordings from our class anytime. Kym helped me feel safe, seen and acknowledged. She kept on time and respected the space. As well, her knowledge of Permaculture is clearly extensive and deep. I learned so much! Thank you Kym! I'm sure I will study with you again!" - Kelly Gordon
“Now is the time to stop dreaming the dream and have something materialize from it.” Kym Chi, as my teacher is gifted in facilitating and providing gracious inspiration for a resilient lifestyle. She took me and showed me the DOOR of practicality and empowers me, so I can STEP IN to the possibilities awaiting for me to be discovered, explored and realize our potential as positive agent of change individually and collectively.
With all the disruption to our “normal” way of life in 2020, there has never been a better time (and greater need/urgency) to start living the permaculture dream... that’s why we got into permaculture... that’s why we want that ecologically resilient homestead, that self-sufficient permaculture farm, that abundant food forest." - Dharlyn
"This was the second time taking a permaculture course with Kym Chi and from both classes it has been life changing. I highly recommend others taking a permaculture design course during their life time as it is a mind opener and will really help one be more connected within themselves and all living life forms! Thank you Kym Chi!"
"I had been thinking about taking Kym's Permaculture Design Certification Course at a friend's recommendation for quite some time, and this time around, things finally fell into place and it happened. Despite the challenges of teaching and learning virtually, Kym gave an informative, engaging, and meaningful course. She is a welcoming, compassionate, knowledgeable, and kind teacher who is able to draw on her own experiences and ideas as well as others'. This was my first exposure to Permaculture in a formal setting, and I am very fortunate and grateful that it was such a positive one (although, after working with Kym, I'm not at all surprised that was the case). I hope to learn from and work with her again!" - Dave L
"This is a great course, Kym Chi is an inspiring teacher who cares passionately about the course content and about engaging her students to learn and absorb the material. She makes it fun on many different levels." - Jacqueline
"Kym Chi is an exceptional guide in learning Permaculture Design! Permaculture is so much more than gardening principles. Who knew!? This course provides a framework for moving towards positive change, spiritually, emotionally, communally, ecologically. It’s about action that is doable and effects our collective health and future! Kym Chi has lovingly crafted an offering of abundant knowledge that is so nourishing and inclusive. I luv, love, LOVED this course! Thank you!!! - Anna“Kym shares so much knowledge and heart in this PDC, It is impossible not to fall for Permaculture. I found so many ways to integrate Permaculture into my life on a small scale immediately, and plan and dream of Permaculture possibilities for the future. I am eternally grateful” - Paige Inglis
“Kym is a very gifted teacher and facilitator who brings a huge amount of knowledge, skill and experience and mixes in a great dose of love and laughs to the course an amazing experience.” - Donna M“
Kym Chi provided us with an awesome learning experience - teaching us foundational concepts, design principles of Permaculture that we can now use to create a beautiful, productive sustainable life and world. - Margaret R.
“This program goes far beyond simply designing an organic and sustainable landscape. Learning about plant allies, regeneration of the land and building earth- loving social structures is the keystone of an integrated life centred on the principles of Permaculture. Kym Chi is an energetic & passionate steward for the earth and supports rounded learning. “ - Stephanie W“
An excellent course for anyone new or experienced in Permaculture to gain further in depth knowledge and experience. Kym is a beautiful facilitator with a warm heart and so much knowledge to share” - Doug“
This course was quite challenging for me since my English is limited. However, I am glad I took this course. Every topic was eye opening for me, Permaculture is not just about agriculture, it is about making a sustainable lifestyle.” - Satomi S.
“This has been one of the most enjoyable and informative programs I have been a part of. What I learned will serve me well and guide me in better serving others and the earth. I am grateful for the teachings and for the community it introduced me to. Thank you. - Kathy Duncan
“The Permaculture course opened my eyes to how everything is connected and how we all must work together as a community to care for the earth, the people and the future. Kym Chi is a wonderful, passionate teacher who loves and lives what she teaches. She is gentle, yet spicy and keeps the class momentum going strong” - anonymous
“Learning with Kym as a facilitator was one of the most creative, fun, professional and profound experiences. She planted the seed of Permaculture in me and I can’t wait to let it grow. - Elke H.
“I loved the variety of visual aids, cards, medicine making and visiting diverse landscapes with examples of systems. So many inspiring moments and learnings. This was a perfect format to delve in and understand how to overcome my own fears and limitations to find solutions everywhere. - Alison R
"This course was a creative, interactive journey that covered a broad range of topics and experiences. From Medicine making to collective games, nature walks and potlucks, the course content is delivered in ways that meet all learning styles. A great experience overall. Thank you!" - Danielle Gauthier
“An inspirational journey of an Introduction to Permaculture, wetting the palette to want to dive deeper. Great foundation for self growth and tools to engage community, influence work and relationships”. -Sybrena Albright
“The course is a refreshing break from everyday life. A chance to reflect and inspired about how we can be better.” - Karen Cameron
"This course was so well organized. You inspired me to alter my teaching methods to help keep everyone focussed, energized and thoughtful. I really didnt want the process to end. I really enjoyed the field trips, physically visiting so many permaculture sites and the classroom environment was good also." - Josephine J
"I really enjoyed the open, generous atmosphere on learning days. The multi-faceted focus for each day having various activities which activated core principles or design elements worked really well. I enjoyed the balance between outside and inside time. Your love and commitment to Permaculture shines brightly!" - Larry Popowich
“I am constantly amazed at how much i have learned about everything. I feel I should have already known how it changed my perspective on my gardens, my life, family, nature, the world… I would recommend this course to anyone who wants to open their mind to a beautiful concept or simply broaden their knowledge of what our future will be made of, at least i hope. I do love how it is easy to weave into our own personal busy lives over 4 seasons of observation. It allows us the time to evolve, change, learn, try, fail, succeed and repeat. Thank you for sharing your love, passion and knowledge of something i had never heard of and will never forget. ” - Marie-Eve B.
“Your teaching has changed the way I observe the world. Observing with curiosity rather than judgement. I recommend this course again and again beacuase of the multi faceted teaching style and the dynamic changing venues and continual student involvement and gentle challenges.” - Maureen Witney
“I would recommend this course to any friend interested and committed to leaving this world a better place.” - Sally Holden
"Three years of University and a debt I'm still paying off today and I learnt more about the real world on this course than during that whole time. The majority of my posts, blogs and pub rants have been influenced by this philosophy. If you are interested in the natural world, sustainability, healthy living or just think the current way we do things in society is a little strange I'd recommend checking out Permaculture in some way or another" - Josh Davis www.thechangeiwanttosee.com
"Delvin and Kym are amazing, talented and incredibly honouring and delightful people. Our world is safe and more alive and caring in their hands, thanks to their presence, creativity and commitment." - Robin Clayfield
“If you feel any inclination to take this course, I encourage you to do it. Do it now. Kym and Delvin have the ability to meet you where you are and guide you with active and inspirational instruction. Harness the information and apply it personally to your business and to your garden no matter the size. Start now.” - Craig H.
“By the law of attraction , i entered the Permaculture Design Certificate Program. I am very grateful for Delvin and Kym on this journey, both are very professional and responsible”. - Jenny Smith
“I really like this course and how Delvin, Kym and my classmates were greatly responsive of my needs as a differently abled person. I am going to carry what i have learned in this course throughout my life.” - Myah Catherine"
The instructors, Delvin and Kym, provide an excellent introduction to the ethics, principles, and techniques of Permaculture. The instruction is more than I could have hoped for. Between the curriculum, and personal experiences of the instructors, the course offers a brilliant education and a profound experience." - Steven Funk
"Continuing education in permaculture studies, with the amazing teachers Devlin Solkinson and Kym Chi in Vancouver BC. I'm deeply inspired by the course that I'm in with them now, and highly recommend this to anyone interested in next level Earth stewardship gardening." - Bob M
“This program was fantastic! Delvin and Kym created a welcoming learning environment , encouraged me to step out of my comfort zone and enabled me to grasp and learn the Permaculture ethics and principles in a way that was conducive to my learning style. I’ve left this program with the confidence and knowledge to further pursue my education and career in Permaculture. I have and will continue to recommend this program to others who are interested in Permaculture and look forward to the opportunity to learn with Delvin and Kym again.” Matt Gravel @ Plant Buoy:LPP, Victoria , BC
- Module 1: Introduction to Design
- Group introductions
- Course orientation & requirements
- Group goals and guidelines
- Communication (NVC and conflict resolution)
- Indigenous learning principles, learning styles & multiple intelligences
- Set a course culture of safety, respect and organization
- Create a positive & effective learning environment
- Encourage active listening in groups
- Value different ways of communicating
- Orient participants to course content
Module 2: Foundations of Permaculture
- History of Permaculture
- Know the Permaculture ethics and the Transition ethic and how to apply them to conscious decision making
- Gain a strong understanding of nature’s principles and how they are at the foundation of design decisions and application
- Provide awareness of the world’s problems and the current situation
- Shift from a place of problems to positive solution based thinking
- Feel confident in defining Permaculture clearly to others
Module 3: Design Methods
- Needs, Functions and Outputs
- Understand how to do a needs & yields analysis
- Gain a base understanding of closed loop systems
- Observe a site, document and recognize available resources and design constraints based on analysis.
- Identify energies or influences that effect a design site
- Be able to create a base map including zones & sector analysis for a site
- Know the basic elements included in mapping a site
Module 4: Pattern Literacy
- Physical patterns, emergent patterns, fractal patterns
- Functions of patterns
- Patterns in time
- Behavioural patterns
- Application of patterns in design
- Pattern recognition in nature and technology
- Understand the functions of patterns in nature and how to apply that knowledge to effective design
- Gain Pattern literacy and understand how to replace dysfunctional patterns with functional ones.
- Know the functions of and feel confident designing guilds
- Recognize that pattern literacy is fundamental in becoming good designers
Module 5: Design for Soil
- Soil biology
- Soil classification and testing
- Soil remediation
- Soil indicators
Learning Goals :
- Have a base understanding of the components of healthy soil and know the value of building soil.
- Know different ways to test soil
- Recognize different plant indicators and what they tell about soil health.
- Understand a multitude of different ways to remediate and build soil.
- Apply different composting techniques in appropriate situations.
- Identify key plants that bring nutrient to the soil.
Module 6: Design for Trees
- Ecological function of trees in relation to earth, water, air and energy
- Forest gardens and food forests
- Plants as soil indicators
- Design for trees
Learning Goals :
- Understand the ecological functions of trees and recognize them as a keystone species in the ecosystem
- Learn the stages of succession and how to intervene at appropriate times.
- Know the layers in a forest garden and different plants for each layer that grow locally
- Be able to integrate trees adequately and appropriately in design.
Module 7: Design for Animals
- Design for wild and domestic animals
- Animal care
- Integrated pest management
Learning Goals :
- Recognize the intrinsic characteristics, functions and outputs of animals
- How to meet the needs of animals on site
- Learn techniques for integrating animal systems
- Understand effective and healthy ways to handle pests
- Know how to safely and ethically live with wildlife
Module 8: Design for Water, Aquaculture & Earthworks
- Water facts
- Water conservation
- Water strategies & techniques
- Waste water treatment
- Water harvesting & storage
Learning Goals :
- Understand how global water issues can affect us on a local level.
- Be able to do a water audit.
- Recognize multiple ways in which to conserve water.
- Feel confident in applying strategies and techniques to capture, store, treat and release water safely and appropriately.
- Know how to calculate roof water catchment amounts.
Module 9: Climate
- Climatic factors
- Climate design strategies
- World climate
Learning Goals :
- Understand climate on a global scale
- Learn how to design in order to moderate and utilize climatic factors
- Be able to identify, create and design microclimates
Module 10: Cool Climate Design
- Cool climate characteristics
- Cool climate design challenges and strategies
- Cool climate design elements, techniques and technologies
Learning Goals :
- Learn how to effectively design homes, gardens, farms and communities in the Cool Climate.
Module 11: Tropical Design
- Tropical climate characteristics
- Tropical climate design challenges and strategies
- Tropical climate design elements, techniques and technologies
Learning Goals :
- Learn how to effectively design homes, gardens, farms and communities in the wet, wet dry and monsoon tropics
Module 12: Dryland Design
- Dryland climate characteristics
- Dryland climate design challenges and strategies
- Dryland climate design elements, techniques and technologies
Learning Goals :
- Learn how to effectively design homes, gardens, farms and communities in the drylands
Module 13: Social Permaculture
- Client interview & designer checklist
- Community building including group processes
- Land access
- Right livelihood
- Legal structures
Learning Goals :
- Gain confidence in the consultation and design process for clients.
- Be able to map assets and resources and identify community needs.
- Understand different models of decision making and how to apply them.
- Learn tools to provide for healthy group dynamics and efficient process.
- Recognize opportunities for land access locally.
- Become aware of ethical and effective business models and legal structures that support the local economy
- Know ways to relocalize and create resilient communities.
Module 14: OS Permaculture
- Permaculture economics
- Urban renewal strategies and design
Learning Goals :
- Be able to identify risks and mitigate disaster using Permaculture design tools and techniques
- Know the steps in building an emergency preparedness plan and engaging local community in the process
- Learn a variety of different economic strategies and the value of utilizing multiple currencies and tools
- Feel confident in utilizing place-making tools, techniques and Permaculture strategies in urban environments
Module 15: Design Futures
- Next steps (setting up a permaculture practice, further education, community involvement, goal sharing)
- Education (accessibility, open source, alternative education)
- Mapping and design presentations
- Talent show
Demonstrations and optional activities throughout the course:
- Design Charrettes
- Earthworks demonstration
- Integrative games
- Compost building
- Soil analysis
- Medicine Making
- Medicinal plants & preparations
- Plant Identification
- Non-violent communication
- I don’t require those taking the course to participate in the certification requirements.
- Many people take the program and do not do the questions and project.
- No one knows who is doing or not doing this work.
- Those wanting the certification will complete:
- Map and design project
- 100% attendance (no more than 4 missed live classes and all recordings watched)
- Watching all pre recorded media and virtual tours
- Completion of short quizzes on each topic
- Contribution to the online forums
Graduating & Jobs
- Having a Permaculture Design Certificate from a recognized training institute will empower participants as permaculture designers, consultants and beginner teachers able to use the word permaculture legally in their practice, business or project. This sustainability education eco-training certificate is a practical path for greening your life, resume and portfolio. You will have a green edge when applying for jobs, grants or school program.