LGBTQIA+ Allyship for Healthcare Providers
The Current Cultural Context
2021 has seen the most anti-LGBTQIA+ (and specifically anti-trans) legislation in US history.
This, on top of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, has increased disparities in access to resources for historically marginalized communities.
It is more important than ever for healthcare professionals to understand how to be an effective ally to the LGBTQIA+ community.
The Goals of this Course
After taking this this 2-hr course, participants will be able to:
- Identify which developmental stage of cultural competence they are currently in
- Compare and contrast cultural competence and cultural humility
- Explain a typology of LGBTQIA+ microaggressions in healthcare settings and how it impacts outcomes for LGBTQIA+ patients
- Understand the definitions of cissexism, cis-centrism, and cis fragility, and explain how they create barriers and reinforce negative healthcare outcomes for the LGBTQIA+ community
- Understand how COVID-19 and minority stress impact multiply marginalized members of the LGBTQIA+ community, increasing systemic health disparities in the U.S.
How I Locate Myself
I am queer and trans non-binary (they/them).
I have over 15+ years of involvement with the LGBTQIA+ community.
I hold a MA in Performance Studies and I am a Registered Drama Therapist through the North American Drama Therapy Association (NADTA).
I am a member of the Cultural Humility, Equity, and Diversity Committee of the NADTA.
I have experience working with domestic violence, acute mental health issues (including suicidality), and neurodivergence as well as chronic illness/disability.
I am currently involved in community organizing and mutual aid with my local LGBTQIA+ community. I also facilitate a working group with other queer drama therapists. And I help administrate a Facebook group for LGBTQIA+ affirming therapists which has over 6K members.
Table of Contents
Frequently Asked Questions
How long do I have access to the course?
Forever! Once you've enrolled and paid, you'll have access to the course material for as long as you need. So devour it all in one weekend or take things slow. It's your choice!
I still have a question, how can I contact you?
I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have. You can contact me through my website, www.dramatherapyaustin.com.