45 Days of Expressive Art and Writing Ideas
This guidebook is for art facilitators who are just beginning to offer classes and groups in their community, and who want to feel more comfortable with class pacing, program structuring, and communication with groups. This guidebook offers 45 ideas that offer self-development through expressive art, movement, and writing directives.
For over 15 years I have kept detailed notes of all of the hands-on art directives that have worked well in my expressive arts classes for children, teens and adults, as well my work with a wide variety of special needs populations.
In this PDF guidebook, I offer you daily supportive ideas on how to facilitate your own creative self-expression groups. For 45 days, you will discover new ways to bring fun, freeing, intriguing, surprising, and humorous expressive art and writing directives to your participants.
Whether you are new to facilitating expressive art and writing for groups or are a seasoned facilitator, this course will provide you with fresh ideas everyday that will help increase honest communication, encourage freedom in the use of art materials, build group bonding, and invoke the healing power of authentic creativity in a peer-led way that does not require counselling or therapy skills.
You Will Learn:
1. How to facilitate 45 multimodal expressive group exercises including authentic movement, expressive drawing, poetry, painting, collage and much more.
2. How to pace your art sessions to intensify the creativity of your participants.
3. How to introduce the element of surprise into your facilitation skills to increase spontaneity and fun.
4. How to facilitate group discussions that encourage honest sharing and friendly group communication.
*Please note there is no refund for this book. You will receive all information upfront in a complete PDF as soon as you pay.
Accessing Your Guidebook
Your PDF is available right after you purchase. Bookmark this link so you can re-access your Guidebook whenever you want.
Go to "Guidebook Download" in your lessons and you will find your PDF.
Sample Lesson Plan
#41 - Animal Speak
1. Invite your group members to choose five animals out of a magazine. National Geographic magazines work well for this process.
2. Ask your participants to glue each of their animals onto a separate piece of paper.
3. Ask your group members to create a written dialogue about how each animal is feeling based on their body and facial expressions.
4. Suggest, "The animal would express his/her emotions beginning with, "I feel..."
5. Invite your artists to embellish the verbal expression of each animal's emotions with drawing, either in color or black and white.
6. Invite your participants into a sharing circle after the art, drawing and writing exercise is finished. Invite each artist to share one of their "Animal Speak" pictures, and share how the process felt for them.
7. At the end of the sharing, invite your artists to contemplate each of their "Animal Speak" pictures privately. Invite each person to silently contemplate how each animal might represent an aspect of their own emotional world.
This exercise offers the possibility of sensitively reading the facial and body expressions of animals, and intuitively exploring the inner world of creatures as they relate to human emotions.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long do I have access to the course?
Once you've enrolled and paid, you'll have access to the course material for as long as you need.
I still have a question, how can I contact you?
I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have. Send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org