SOLD OUT - Designing for Resilience with LUSI ALDERSLOWE OCTOBER 2020
This course is now sold out...
Sign up to get notified when new course dates become available!
Online courses led by certified and experienced permaculture teachers
Learn the basics of permaculture design with an experienced teacher, on the Foundations of Permaculture course. You'll get a basis for how to apply permaculture in your life and make your own designs.
Some free places are available for black, Asian or minority ethnic people. Request one now.
Interactive and transformative
- Led by an experienced permaculture teacher, offering tailored support during your learning
- Apply permaculture design in your life
- Small Learning group of fellow learners with private communication channel
- Includes membership of the Permaculture Association
- Learn how to connect with people and projects in your community
- Present your design to your teacher and fellow learners
Price £190 non-members / £152 members
- Including membership for 1 year for non Permaculture Association members
- 20% discount for Permaculture Association members (discount code available in members area).
- Introduction to Permaculture certificate awarded on completion of the course
- Discounted rate for our members
- Discounts on 6 books from the
Permaculture Magazine, chosen to complement this course
- Free resources, videos, PDF handouts
- Activities, quizzes and plenty of no screen time included!
Only 20 places per course available on a first come first served basis
Very interesting and useful the perspective of applying the principles to several situations, including our own life design, rather than just to land based designs. Also, great practical examples!— JV
A huge amount of rich and interesting content to absorb but it all makes perfect sense! I have made a lot of notes and will come back and learn more... It is good to get a thorough grounding in permaculture principles at this stage so we can see how they are applied in practice.— JO
Foundation of Permaculture modules
The course has 6 modules, based upon the Introduction to Permaculture curriculum.
1. A nature based approach
- Understand the importance of regenerative design
- Discuss permaculture and its ethics
- Discuss the benefits of permaculture design
- Know where to go for more information
2. Principles of Permaculture
- Understand that there are different sets of principles in permaculture design
- Understand the Holmgren principles
- Know how to apply the principles
- Understand the Holmgren flower
3. How to Apply Permaculture
- Discover a few of the wide applications of permaculture design
- Understand how permaculture can be applied in your community, at home and for your wellbeing.
- Apply permaculture thinking to various areas of your life
4. Design Frameworks
- Understand there are different design frameworks
- Understand the value of using a permaculture design framework
- Choose a design to apply SADIMET to
- Understand the similarities between SADIMET and OBREDIMET
- Understand the Design Web
- Apply the SADIMET framework to a chosen design
5. Design Methods
- To understand the importance of observation
- To understand zones
- To complete an input-output analysis
- To present your design
6. Your next steps
- Consolidate learning around 4 principles of permaculture
- Understand the different areas of the Permaculture Association‘s work
- Know where to go to find more about our teachers, their courses and how to learn more
- Know how to connect with other learners and others that are studying and practising permaculture outside of this course
- Understand some resilient next steps
First course teacher led session times
All sessions begin at 7pm UK time.
6th Oct Tuesday 1.5 hours - Module 1
20th October Tuesday 1.5 hours - Module 2
3rd November Tuesday 1.5 hours - Module 3
17th November Tuesday 1.5 hours - Module 4 & 5
1st December Tuesday 2 hours - Module 5
15th December Tuesday 1 hr - Module 6
A total of 9 hours of time with your teacher.
Additionally, some extra study time will be useful for you. As this is a newly launched course its hard to say exactly, but as a rough estimate we think most people will take around 1.5-3 hours to study each module.
Meet the teachers
We have a globally recognised certifying teachers register and an active community of permaculture teachers, many of whom have helped make this course.
Hear from some of our teachers on the importance of Designing for Resilience:
Lusi Alderslowe & Joe Atkinson lead our next two courses
I have been teaching permaculture for over ten years, including many full design courses. I lived in Glasgow, leading permaculture education with children from the local schools and nurseries. Now in Gatehouse of Fleet, I continue to teach permaculture to adults and children.
I work with kids leading nature connection in the woods and gardening in the school grounds. Since 2014 I have been working on the Children in Permaculture European project and co-authored the Children in Permaculture manual.
I have a fun, informative, participatory teaching style with lots of diversity in methodologies.
I completed my Permaculture Design Course in 2007, teaching permaculture courses since 2009 and acted as the Permaculture Association's Learning Coordinator from 2009-2017.
I have collaborated extensively with permaculture educators in Britain and across Europe. I am a member of the Association's Education Working Group.
I regularly teach in Leeds and Nottingham, and have taught in Denmark, Spain and Ukraine. I have taught on over 20 PDCs. I live in a co-housing community in suburban Leeds called LILAC (Low Impact Living Affordable Community).
Our Ethics - Earth Care, People Care, Fair Shares
Key Elements to all Permaculture Association courses:
- We are a permaculture charity - in using our platform you will be assured of fair prices, strongly held ethics and key principles.
- Your course fee will give 10% to a Fair Shares pot, reinvesting a percentage of profits into improving education, managed by our educators.
- All courses will showcase permaculture in practise, providing examples and places to engage, connect you to teacher profiles, events and your peers.
- Support to use the ethics on your own purposeful design work.
- Principles - helping you to design resiliently and regeneratively.
- Purposeful Design - Our clients are both mother nature & future generations!
- Action - your next steps, LAND demonstration centres, our globally recognised certified teachers network, our membership community - permaculture in practise.
I found this reflection interesting… different threads of my life and a wealth of lived experiences in different places have woven together. The permaculture principles and approach resonate so much with where I am now and the direction I would like to go.— RA
I'm going to use obredimet for a portion of our garden where we want to combine a few different uses in a small space. Looking forward to sharing— JA
Sign up to get notified when new course dates become available!
Frequently Asked Questions
How long does the course last?
You should aim to complete it within 3 months.
You can study at your own pace. The group sessions arranged with your teacher are listed on this page above. Your teacher will advise you what modules to complete before the next session.
Do I get any qualifications from the course?
You will get an official Introduction to Permaculture certificate delivered to you from the Permaculture Association.
The information developed in this course was created with our teaching community, utilising hundreds of years of combined permaculture research and knowledge from our dedicated members.
Can anyone participate in the course?
No prior knowledge is required for this course. The course will be in English and there will be a glossary of terms included.
Limited hearing: Subtitles are used in videos and all videos have text scripts below.
We are dedicated to engaging a diverse audience with this course.
Can I do the course in person?
You may be able to start the course at one of our events, such as the convergence or diploma gathering as lockdown restrictions ease. Blended remote elements will be offered too - webinars, creating guilds with others and online communities to enable you to feel connected.
If you would prefer to study at your own pace without a teacher supporting your learning we're launching our online access anytime course in October 2020.
Already studied beyond this level?
Then share this opportunity with others! Now is a great time to start a journey into permaculture.